Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Rolls:
1 Tbsp. active dry yeast
2 Tbsp. honey
1 1/2 cups sweet potato, cooked and pureed
1/2 cup warm water
3 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs, slightly beaten or 2 egg replacers.
3 cups hard white whole wheat flour, plus extra for kneading
4 1/2 tsp. vital wheat gluten
1. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve honey in warm water.
Add the yeast and let stand 10 minutes until foamy.
2. Add sweet potato, oil, salt, and eggs/egg replacer. Stir to mix well.
3. Sift together flour and vital wheat gluten.
Stir in 3 cups of flour mixture until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
Knead 2 to 3 minutes, adding just enough flour to prevent sticking.
Do not knead too heavily; when smooth, shape into a ball.
4. Place in an oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat the surface.
Cover, and let raise about 1 hour or longer.
5. Punch down, and allow dough to rest for 2 minutes.
Divide dough and form into 12-15 rolls.
Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet or in a 9x13 pan.
Cover and allow to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
6. Preheat oven to 375 F. Bake for 15-18 minutes until browned on top.
Makes 12-15 rolls.