Since we are in the thick of Cold and Flu Season and February can really get us all down. My children have been notorious about getting sick in February! This year their timing was much better and they had their round of sickness in January. I thought it was a great way to start the New Year by cleansing and strengthening their immune systems so they can be well for the rest of the year! ;)
There has been some BAD bugs this year. My kids did well and were only down in bed for a day or two (depending on the child, some were not really even "down"). As you know it's been over 11 years now since they have needed a M.D. I thought you might find a list of herbs and essential oils our family uses to be of some use to you! I like using things that are pure and natural, created by God, and that..... well have a really long track record! These things have been around and been used all through the ages. Even modern medicine can't say that, it's too....... "modern." They have what maybe 200 years under their belt? Like I have said I'm grateful they are there but for me and my family they are the alternative. I really want something that has stood the test of time when it comes to my health and the health of my family!
Be sure to note my disclaimer at the bottom of this site! Can't forget the fine print!;) Note that this is just what I do and what I have found works for me. Don't be afraid to find what works good for you and your family! I am also ALWAYS sure to ask God to direct us in each individual circumstance and I try really hard to listen, be humble, open minded and teachable. Even if it's something that doesn't make sense to me I trust that God knows and will direct us! Also note that I don't do everything every time it just depends on the person, what they have etc. and again what I feel inspired to do. I know real scientific but it has worked well for me for quite some time!
Remember I'm pretty picky about who I trust and what brands I buy! And I ALWAYS read ingredients!
I get my Herbal Formulas at:
Dr. Christopher's formulas are EXCELLENT we have used them for over 11 years. I highly recommend them!
My Single Bulk Herbs, along with lots of other great cut herb blends, oils and butters (like Coconut oil, and Shea butter), natural beauty care making supplies (like beeswax, citric acid etc.) and other supplies from:
Such a great company! I have been so impressed!
I get my Essential Oils from:
I haven't used better oils at a better price!
I have these links along with others that I like on my sidebar and also on my "I Recommend" Page. For easy reference!
Onto my list. I hope you find it easy and fairly self-explanatory. If not, feel free to ask questions!
Dr. Christopher Formulas I have on hand for my little ones:
- Kid-E-Mune: 5-10 drops every 30 minutes - 2 hours, when they are sick in bed. I also give them this a few times a day if they seem under the weather or if there is something going around. I do about 10 days on 4 days off.
- Kid-E-Soothe: I use this in place of Kid-E-Mune for Curtis who has Asthma. If you have a child who deals with an autoimmune issue, Echinacea seems to rev the immune system up to much causing it to overreact even more. Kid-E-Soothe helps strengthen yet calm the immune system it also works great for his cough. This one we also use for allergies it works great to calm the system when it's overreacting to an allergen!
- Kid-E-Col: If there's a stomach ache, bloating, or throwing up. It's also great for teething and colic!
- Kid-E-Reg: If they have not pooped in a while. A good bowel movement seems to really help with fever among other things.
- Glandular System Formula: We like the ointment and the message oil. If they are congested and coughing, I rub this on their chest, back, neck and behind ears after a warm bath.
- X-Ceptic: I rub this on them AFTER the Glandular Ointment it helps kill germs.
- Ear Oil: For Ear Troubles.
- Oil of Garlic: I love this to rub on my kids feet and well pretty much all over them when they are sick!
- Anti-Plague: (Also known as Super Immune Garlic Formula) The taste isn't really kid friendly but it's so great for really tough bugs. I couldn't have made it through Curt's Asthma issues without it!
- Lung and Bronchial Formula: The glycerine extract is my favorite! This is WONDERFUL for coughs! I use it whenever my kids are coughing a lot especially at night. I feel like this formula (along with the good diet of course) is what kept us from needing a inhaler for Curt.
- Anti-Spasmodic Formula: I use this one with the formula above if a cough is keeping them up at night. I just rub it on their chest (it has cayenne and is too hot for a kid to take internally) it helps quiet down the coughing spasms.
- Cold Season Formula: One of my favorite formulas. It's great for kids and adults I take it myself if I am feeling like I'm trying to get sick or if there is lots of crud going around.
- Lymphatic Formula: I use this formula with the one above every time I'm sure that I'm trying to come down with something. It usually stops it right in it's tracks. I am very rarely sick I blame this. It's also great for all types of infections! Another favorite of mine! I wouldn't be without it!
- Chest Comfort Formula: Another favorite I buy in bulk! It's a great mild yet hard working formula wonderful for cold and flu season! I especially like it for coughs or tight chest. It helps loosen things up quickly! I use it a lot of times in conjunction with the other 2 formulas above. I have also noticed a big difference since Curt has learned to swallow capsules and can take this formula when he has a cough. His cough seems to clear up faster!
- Sen-Sei Ointment: This one is great for when you are stuffed up and can't breathe it helps open things up so you can breath!
- Complete Tissue and Bone Formula: We mostly use the ointment but I also like the massage oil! This is by far our most used ointment. We use it like you would an anti-biotic neosporin type ointment. We find it works great on cuts, scrapes, bruises and I'm told even broken bones luckily we haven't had any of those.
- Sinus Plus Formula: We like this one is for colds and allergies, runny nose, watery eyes etc. I like the extract because it works quickly but the capsules are great too!
- Black Ointment: Not one I typically use but I will never be without it. I had blood poisoning from a cut that got infected once and my Son had a boil that also got blood poisoning. This ointment quickly pulled out the infection and saved us emergency room trips!
- False Unicorn and Lobelia: I was grateful to have this around when I threatened to Miscarry with Curt!
- Iron Assimilation Formula: I love this one for helping rebuild my iron after I have had a baby or if I feel at all anemic during pregnancy. (I'm usually not as long as I'm getting my greens!)
- Itch Ointment: This one is what we used when my kids all had the chicken pox! We also use it on itchy rashes or bites.
- Plantain Ointment: I love this one for mosquito bites! It's also a drawing ointment and helps get out slivers.
- Kid-E-Trac: This one is supposed to be for kids but I got it for me. It's supposed to help bring mental clarity and emotional balance. It's very helpful for those times I seem to be emotionally out of balance and/or overwhelmed!
- MindTrac Formula: I have found this one is wonderful for depression and those times where you just want to run away, even from yourself. It helps keep you grounded and thinking clearly! I haven't had to use it very often but when I do I'm really glad that I have it. My daughter also found it is very helpful for period cramps, and I only gave her one capsule!
- Kidney Formula: I like this one with cranberry concentrate and gallons of distilled water for Bladder Infections.
- Vitalherbs: I like to get my "vitamins" in the form of a green drink or green smoothie but sometimes it's hard to get enough especially when I'm pregnant or under a lot of stress. This formula really helps give me the added nutrition I need all from whole foods! Not synthetic!
- Herbal Cleansing Kit: We all need a good "cleaning" once in a while! It's all about cleansing and nourishing so the body can heal itself. It's like Dr. Christopher always said there is only one disease and that is constipation so lets get it cleaned out! ;)
- Chaste Tree Berry Powder (aka Vitex): I take 3 capsules of this everyday and have been for about 9 months now. I find it really helps with all that girly type stuff. I'm trying to get my oldest daughter in the habit of taking it to I have found it to help so much. Less cramps, less mood swings, less heavy flow. A great women's herb!
- Red Raspberry Leaf: Both cut and powdered. Great for colds and flu, pregnancy, nausea, and all sorts of female stuff. Another one that I take daily and try to get my teenage daughter to also.
- Cayenne: Would never, ever, ever be without this herb! It's so good for so many things! My favorite is how quickly I have seen it stop bleeding. Great for bloody noses etc. Study up on this herb it's AMAZING!
- More Herbs I Wouldn't Want to Be Without!
- Spice for Life: This is probably our most used essential oil blend! (I have found I like it better then the Thieves formulas or On Guard type formulas, maybe it's because it has multiple citrus oils.) The whole family uses this one especially during cold and flu season! I will give them a lick of it or put it in a carrier oil and rub it on them, feet, chest, neck, back.
- Spice Spray: (At least that's what we call it) I make this one myself by taking 30-50 drops of Spice for Life essential oil blend and put it in a 4 ounce amber glass spray bottle and fill it half way with water and half way with vegetable glycerine. It works great as a sore throat spray or I line the kids up and give them a spray before we go to church or somewhere that I know will have lots of people coughing etc.
- Di-gest: This is great to rub on upset stomachs or for heart burn, bloating, or any other digestion issues.
- Breathe: This one is great for allergies and I like to diffuse it in Curt's room at night if he is coughing it really helped him when he was wheezy. He doesn't get wheezy much at all anymore but I'm still glad to have this formula.
- Lavender: I keep this one in the kitchen to quickly put on burns. It's AMAZING!
- Defence: I use this along with Breathe and Spice for Life in a carrier oil when the kids are really sick or Curt is wheezy. I usually put it in almond oil as a carrier but olive oil would work too.
- Mars and Venus Blends: These are great for Hormone balancing I'm glad I have them!